What do you think of when you hear “chocolate cake”? How about when you hear “orange”? Or maybe even “grilled”?
I rather doubt you were thinking of putting them all three together!
So what would you think of a hollowed-out orange, filled with a moist, orange infused chocolate cake, and top with a creamy, chocolate cream cheese frosting?
If you’re thinking that it sounds amazing, than you’re right. It was amazing!
Spooning out a big bite of that orange – chocolate cake and creamy frosting…
Ughhh… Now I’m craving some!
It’s super simple and easy for you to whip together and pop on the grill. Another great factor I have to point out is that you can do this all outside, or at the very least, it all cooks outside! No heating up the oven or stove!
Oranges (how many you need depends on how many little cakes you want to make!)
1 box Devil’s Food cake mix
1/2 t. ground cloves
Homemade Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- Oranges (how many you need depends on how many little cakes you want to make!)
- A box of Devil’s Food cake mix
- 1/2 t. ground cloves
- Homemade Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- Start by cutting the tops off of the oranges and use a citrus spoon to scoop out the insides.
- Whip together the cake batter using the box instructions and mix in the cloves and some of the juice from the orange insides (you decide how much orange flavor you want in there!)
- Fill the oranges half-full of cake batter and set the lids back on them.
- Use two toothpicks on either side to secure the lid and then wrap the oranges in foil.
- Set on a preheated grill (about medium-low heat) on the second rack (if you have one). Just so long as the cakes aren’t on the rack directly above the flames. This way, the heat isn’t too overwhelming on one side and they cook more evenly. You’ll want to turn them over a couple of times throughout the cooking process. In the end, they should cook for around 25 – 30 minutes.
- You’ll have to open the foil on one of the cakes to tell if they’re done (I’d do this when you can smell them and it’s been around 25 minutes). If they’re done, close up the one you checked and let them all sit on the counter for about five minutes. Then, unwrap them and let them sit for another 10 minutes to cool and finish cooking in the centers.
- Frost with your favorite frosting or use the Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting recipe.
- Serve right away and enjoy!