So for me, this was a first. First time grilling pizza, that is! And I can’t tell you how surprised I am at how easy it was to do. Everything went smoothly and the pizza ended up being a favorite! In case you couldn’t tell, I loved it!
Now this pizza is a little different from your regular pizza. When I think of pizza, I think of an oven, lots of meats and some veggies with some sort of Marinara sauce. But this pizza involves a grill, grilled chicken, peppers, onions, and cream cheese instead of your typical red sauce. I was a bit leery at how this might work out, but after the first bite you will find it to be the perfect combination! It just works together – Trust me!
1 cup water
2 T. sugar
2 t. yeast
3 T. veggie oil
1/2 t. salt
2 1/2 cups flour
2 chicken breasts, grilled and chopped
1/4 of a red onion, thinly sliced (or more)
1/4 of a green pepper, thinly slice (or more)
1/2 (8-ounce) block cream cheese, room temperature
Homemade BBQ Rub (or any other rub of your choice)
Start with the chicken breasts. Thaw them out partly and then rub with your favorite rub or use the Homemade BBQ Rub.
Place on the hot grill so they can cook while you’re making the crust.
For the crust, you’ll start by combining the water, sugar, and yeast together in a medium bowl.
Then add to it the oil…
And the flour.
Mix until it just comes together nicely. Don’t overwork it!
So now would probably be a good time to check on that chicken… Look for smoke or flames. If you see neither, than it should be safe to approach the grill!
On a floured cookie sheet or cutting board, roll out the dough into the size of pizza you want. At this point, there are many decisions to make: Crustless or crust? Thick or thin? Round or square? Stuffed crust or no stuffed crust?
Like I said. Lots to decide!
I was personally going for a more rustic pizza, so I just free-formed it into a sort of circle. Now, you’ll want to grease your grill lightly with some olive oil on a paper towel. Simply wipe it up and down your grates to prevent some of the sticking.
You’ll want to bake the crust for 3 – 5 minutes (each side) on medium heat. I would keep a close eye on it as grills defer – so yours may need to be on a slightly different heat for a different time.
When your crust is done, it should look something like this one does.
Now it’s time for the good stuff! Grab your cream cheese and spread it all over the pizza crust.
Grab that beautifully grilled chicken and chop it up.
Slice some of that onion paper-thin.
And start topping the pizza!
Don’t forget that green pepper. You’ll want it pretty thin too!
For the next part, you’ll need to grab that finely shredded mozzarella. I like just enough to cover my pizza toppings lightly. Most of the time I like to go “gung-ho” on the cheese, but not for this pizza. You want to be able to taste everything in it – Not just the cheese!
Set your grill down on about as low of a heat setting as it can go, and bake the pizza for 15 – 25 minutes, depending on how crisp you want it and such.
Let set for about 2 – 3 minutes before serving, and enjoy!!
- 1 cup water
- 2 T. sugar
- 2 t. yeast
- 3 T. veggie oil
- 1/2 t. salt
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 chicken breasts, grilled and chopped
- 1/4 of a red onion, thinly sliced (or more)
- 1/4 of a green pepper, thinly slice (or more)
- 1/2 (8-ounce) block cream cheese, room temperature
- Homemade BBQ Rub (or any other rub of your choice)
- Mozzarella cheese
- Olive oil
- Start by partly thawing out the chicken breasts and then rubbing them with your favorite rub. (I used a homemade BBQ rub). Place on a heated grill and cook thoroughly.
- For the crust, you'll combine the water, sugar, and yeast together in a bowl.
- Add the oil, salt, and flour to that. Gently mix just until it comes together. Don't over-mix!
- On a floured cutting board or cookie sheet, roll out and shape your pizza crust.
- Using a bit of olive oil on a paper towel, carefully grease your grill grates. Gently slide the pizza crust off onto the grill. Bake for 3 - 5 minutes on each side over medium heat.
- Once your crust has turned golden brown, pull it off the grill and spread the cream cheese over it.
- Chop up the grilled chicken breasts and then thinly slice the red onion and green pepper. Top the pizza with them.
- Finely shred the mozzarella and add it to the pizza too!
- Set your grill on the lowest setting it can go, and bake the pizza for 15 - 25 minutes or until veggies are soft, cheese is melted, and the pizza is nicely browned.
- Let sit for 2 - 3 minutes off of the grill and then serve.