I made this for supper tonight and it turned out great! Now, I don’t have a recipe for it, but I can tell/show you how I made it. Good luck and have fun!
2 lb. sausage, cut in chunks (see picture)
1 t. liquid smoke
1 large onion, sliced
1 red pepper, sliced
1 green pepper, sliced
10 cups potatoes, 1-inch cubes
1 T. liquid smoke
3/4 cup water
3 cups frozen corn
Freshly cracked black pepper
Start by thawing your sausage just enough that you can cut it. If you thaw it too much, it will get soft and squishy, then you won’t be able to cut it. Slice and put in a large dutch oven on medium-high flame.
Using a slotted spoon, place the sausage in a bowl when it’s almost cooked through (it can still have a bit of pink in it).
As you can see here, I didn’t have any peppers that were good. So I went with all onions and it still tasted good! Dump your onions and peppers in the dutch oven and drop in a pat of butter. There still is some grease from the sausage, but not quite enough.
Cook the onions until the edges start burning some and then crack some black pepper over them. Pull them out and place in a bowl as well.
Wash and chop your 10 cups of potatoes.
Add them to the pot. Mix your water and 1 T. liquid smoke and pour that over them. Cover and let sit on low flame until they become a bit more tender (still, don’t cook them through.)
Add the butter and melt it.
Then dump everything back into the dutch oven and mix together gently.
Dump in your corn and mix it in too. Let cook over low flame until potatoes are tender (sausage should be fully cooked by then).
Now dish up and serve with warm Dulce De Leche brownies. People will love you. Yes, I’m serious.
Enjoy them and have a great evening!!
A hearty, meat filled dish with sausage, corn and potatoes whipped up in a cast iron oven.
Write a review
- 2 lb. sausage, cut in chunks (see picture)
- 1 t. liquid smoke
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 10 cups potatoes, 1-inch cubes
- 1 T. liquid smoke
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 cups frozen corn
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Cut the sausage in chunks and place them in a large dutch oven over medium flame.
- When sausage is almost completely cooked (we'll finish it out later) place it in a bowl and set aside.
- Toss the onions and peppers into the dutch oven (with the leftover sausage grease, it gives it flavor and keeps it from sticking).
- Saute the veggies until the edges start blackening. Set them aside in a bowl as well.
- Combine the potatoes, water, and liquid smoke in the dutch oven now. Cook until tender.
- Once potatoes are tender, throw in the veggies, sausage, and corn. Gently stir and heat through.
- Serve and enjoy!!
Prairie Gal Cookin' http://www.prairiegalcookin.com/