These cookies are a breeze to make and lots of fun when the little people decide they want to help in the kitchen too! Grab some little hands, wash them off and let them start pressing thumbprints into the cookie dough. They have a ball with it! Not only is it fun for them to help make these, but the after effects are also fun for them – They can actually eat their finished projects! So here’s what you’ll need to do:
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup sour milk (1/2 cup milk + 1 t. lemon juice)
4 cups flour
1/4 t. baking soda
3/4 cup shortening
2 eggs, beaten
1 t. nutmeg
1/4 t. salt
Jam (Any kind works – Jelly or preserves could also be used)
Start with your milk.. Mix it and the lemon juice together in a glass or plastic container and set aside for a few minutes.
In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar.
Add in the beaten eggs…
In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt. Stir it together gently.
Now back to the sugar mixture, you’ll want to alternate between adding in the flour mixture..
And the milk! (Don’t worry if the milk has some chunkies in it after sitting with the lemon juice a few minutes – It’s supposed to do that!)
Mix together all of the ingredients throughly.
On a greased cookie sheet, drop small, teaspoon sized balls of cookie dough.
Here’s where you’ll want to grab kid thumbs, scrub them off and then let them press the cookie dough down. Just make a small indent in the cookies.
Then grab your jam (jelly or preserves could also be used too). Drop a tiny little spoonful onto the cookie and then pop in a 430 degree oven for about 10 – 12 minutes. you’ll want to keep a close eye on them as they can brown quite quickly!
Pull out, let cool on a cooling rack (wire rack) for a few minutes and then enjoy with a tall glass of milk!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup sour milk (1/2 cup milk + 1 t. lemon juice)
- 4 cups flour
- 1/4 t. baking soda
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 t. nutmeg
- 1/4 t. salt
- Jam (Any kind works - Jelly or preserves could also be used)
- Preheat oven to 430 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and shortening and then add in the eggs.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking-soda, nutmeg, and salt.
- Alternate adding the milk and flour mixture to the sugar and shortening. Stir together until all combined well.
- Drop teaspoon sized balls of dough onto a greased cookie sheet and then press them gently with your thumb (or the kids can do this part!)
- Drop a tiny little bit of jam onto the cookies and then bake for 10 - 12 minutes, keeping a close eye on them.
- Pull out, cool a few minutes and enjoy!