Today, I’m sharing a recipe that I created as a guest post for Nicole Small’s blog, Tales Of A Kansas Farm Mom – Bacon & Cheese Quiche. I had a great time making this as it was so simple to make, but also a bit different than what we’re normally used to!
As I said in the post for Nicole, quiches are basically open-faced, savory pies. Most of them consist of the basic combination of milk, eggs, and cheese. Everything else in it is completely your choice!
Yep. That means it’s all up to you.
All according to your taste buds.
Follow your- Wait. What was I even talking about??
Let’s move on to the food, shall we?
For this quiche, I used a combination of Swiss and cheddar cheese, some chopped celery and apple to give it some sweetness and crunch, and then half a jalapeño and some onion to give it some kick! So let’s get started!
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 celery stalk, chopped
1/2 jalapeño, chopped
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup apple, thinly sliced
5 – 10 slices bacon, chopped coarsely
Start by cooking your bacon according to the instructions.
Now for the pie crust! Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
Using a pastry cutter, cut in the shortening.
Crack an egg into a measuring cup….
And then fill it with water until it reaches the 1/4 cup mark. Beat together and add it to the bowl. (As you can see here, I made a batch of dough that was twice as big as the recipe, that’s why mine shows 1/2 cup instead of 1/4 cup!)
Using your hands, knead it together until it’s all combined. (Don’t over knead!)
Lightly grease a pie plate and then press the dough into it using your fingers.
Then crack the eggs into a bowl and beat.
Add the one cup of milk….
And then the cheese! Stir together gently.
Wash and slice your apple, celery, jalapeño and onion finely, and add to the bowl. Add in the bacon, coarsely chopped, and stir together gently.
Pour the filling into the pie crust and bake at 350* for 30 – 45 minutes or until firm in the center and starting to brown.
Let sit on the kitchen counter for about 10 minutes to finish cooking in the center and then…
Slice, serve, and enjoy!
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1 egg
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno, chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup apple, sliced thinly
- 5 - 10 slices bacon, cooked and chopped coarsely
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Start by making the crust. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the shortening and use a fork or pastry cutter to combine the flour mixture and shortening.
- Crack the egg into a measuring cup and add cold water to it until it reaches the 1/4 cup mark.
- Beat together using a fork and add to the bowl.
- Now, knead the dough gently together with both hands until just combined.
- Place in a lightly greased pie-plate and spread it out.
- Now, for the quiche filling. In a large bowl, beat together the eggs and milk.
- Stir in the cheeses.
- Chop the celery, jalapeno, and onion finely and then slice the apple thinly and stir these into the egg mixture.
- Then stir in the cooked and chopped bacon gently.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust and bake for 30 - 45 minutes. You'll want the top of the quiche turning golden brown and the center to hardly jiggle when you move it.
- Pull out and let sit for 10 minutes to finish cooking in the center.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy!