I’ve shared a little bit about the quilt I’ve been working on recently (mostly on PGC’s Instagram page) but wanted to give a quick update on the “quilt situation”! This was my first quilt.. Actually my first sewing project – It started out as a small denim rag quilt, just for something fun to do and a way to use up some old jeans.. Then I was given some pretty farm themed fabrics and decided to add those in too! After that, I thought it would look nice with a big dark blue border – And that’s where it’s ended up.. So here I am telling you a little more about what the next (and hopefully last stage!) of this project is!
- The top was finished (YAY!!!) and so were the corners (I just loved doing them, I knew exactly what I was going for and never had to rip out several rows of stitches.. Several times – Nope, never. (I’m lying through my teeth here – A good friend loaned me a book and gave me some pointers and I took off from there!)
- After getting the top finished, I started to loose the drive to start on the back and then (later) tying it all together.. So I took it into our local quilt shop and told them what was up with it. We spread it out on the *huge* table they had and started measuring and discussing our options. I knew I wanted something for the backing that was really soft (like flannel) and had actually thought of making it reversible with a floral flannel on one side and the farm/denim theme on the other side. It ended up I didn’t want to use the pretty rose flannel sheet I’d brought in (to give us some ideas), so we went to the computer and started hunting up fabric.
- I decided on a beautiful dark burgundy scrolled flannel to go on the back (you can see it here too) and for it to be pulled up over the edges a little ways, so that we didn’t have to deal with cutting out some more fabric for binding too!
- After that, we discussed whether to tie it together or machine quilt it. We went with hand tying it together because not all of my corners are perfectly squared (or my squares for that matter!) and the tying would probably look better on it.
Anyway, it’s to be put-together/tied the first week of October, so I’m super excited to see it soon!
Hope you’re having a great weekend!